The Sequoia Theatre first opened in 1917 a block away from the current theatre. In 1928 a new and larger structure, the New Sequoia Theatre, was constructed at this location, replacing the Central Grammar School. In 1950, after closing for repairs, it was re-opened as the Fox Theatre. The Fox Theatre was placed on the National Register of Historical Places in 1993, but closed in 2009, some thought for good. However, the building was purchased and reopened in September of 2010.