This beautiful building is the Redwood City Fire Station No. 1. When the Redwood City Volunteer Fire Department was formed in 1861, it was the first non-profit organization in San Mateo County. In November of 1862, the first fire house was constructed at the corner of Marshall and Main Streets. The building was moved in 1869 to a new site on Main, near Stambaugh Street. The building was severely damaged by fire in 1915, and this fire station was built on Middlefield Road in 1920. Shown in this photograph are fire fighters standing next to a 1926 Seagraves fire truck. Chief Mark Ryan is at far left. The fire house was restored and converted to the Downtown Redwood City Library (1986-1988).
CLICK HERE FOR FURTHER INFO ABOUT THIS PATH OF HISTORY STOP