Sequoia High School was founded in Redwood City in 1895 as a feeder school to Stanford University. Classes were held on the third floor of the Grammar School until 1904, when a separate high school building (shown in this photograph) was constructed on Broadway. The site was purchased from pioneer resident Chase Littlejohn, and the builder was John MacBain. The school opened its doors on July 15, 1904, and the guest speaker at the dedication was Stanford University president David Starr Jordan. The first principal was David A. Curry, who with his wife, founded Camp Curry in Yosemite after he retired from Sequoia. After the high school students moved to their current campus at El Camino and Brewster in 1924, the building was used as an elementary school. It was torn down in 1948. The site is currently home to a cinema and retail complex.
CLICK HERE FOR FURTHER INFO ABOUT THIS PATH OF HISTORY STOP